Friday 6 June 2014

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

For a 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' themed first birthday I decided to knit my own version of the caterpillar. 




For each part of the body I used two shades of yarn; one bright green, and a second of anothercolour (light green, light blue, cream and grey) to try and create the multiple shades of the caterpillar body. For the head I used one strand of thicker multi-coloured red-ish yarn.

I used the following pattern to knit the balls, stuffed them with polyester filling, then attached them together:




Abbreviations:  CO=Cast On, K=Knit, Inc1=Increase one stitch to two stitches, Rep *=Repeat instructions in between **, K2tog=Knit two together
Size 6 needles (4.25mm)


CO6
Row1: *K1, Inc 1* Rep * to end (9 Sts)
Row 2: *K2, Inc1* Rep * to end (12 Sts)
Row 3: Rep Row 1 (18 Sts)
Row 4: Rep Row 2 (24 Sts)
Row 5 - 17: Knit Garter Stitch for 13 Rows
Row 18: *K2, K2tog* Rep * to end (18 Sts)
Row 19: *K1, K2tog* Rep * to end (12 Sts)
Row 20: Rep Row 18 (9 Sts)
Row 21: Rep Ro 19 (6 Sts)

Cut the thread 5inches long, thread end through last 6 Sts and pull tight. Join edge down the back, put polyester filling inside, then draw up open end and bind off.

To do the caterpillar face and antenna I just experimented with some left over yarn; for the face I knitted two small white ovals, and stitched them on using green yarn. For the Antenna I cast on 5 stitches, knitted one row, then k2tog on the first and last stitch (leaving 3 stitches) and continues knitting 3 stitches until I was happy with the length, then I sewed down the long edge and stuffed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment